Several years ago, ecommerce or electronic commerce has begun to become increasingly popular as a business model until it has become the preferred method of purchase for consumers, especially among young people.
Many companies have left the traditional physical sale behind to expand on the Internet. In fact, more and more businesses are born to provide services exclusively online, but what exactly is ecommerce and how does it work?
If you still don’t know, don’t worry, we’ll explain it to you!
It may interest you: Master in e-Commerce & Digital Marketing
Index of contents
What is an ecommerce or electronic commerce?
We could define an ecommerce as a virtual store. A method of buying and selling that uses the Internet as a means to carry out transactions and contact its consumers. Not only through a website, but also through social networks. These are an informative source with a lot of impact, and allow you to get closer and know more about your target audience.
This business model has been key for small companies to grow and access other markets, something very difficult to achieve in the traditional way. Not needing large infrastructures and being able to do without limitations such as time, space or logistics has led to its expansion.
How does an ecommerce work?
The online business opens a wide range of possibilities for the company. It offers the opportunity to reach a greater number of consumers no matter where they are. In addition, the reduction of costs in terms of renting a physical premises (with all that that entails), allows to lower the price of the product and be more competitive .
Starting an ecommerce is not unattainable. You need a website that offers a good consumer experience, sell personalized product and a reliable messaging service. Also, of course, you really want to run your own business and creativity to promote it.
In addition, one of the greatest advantages for online commerce is the possibility of segmenting the different audiences . This means improving the effectiveness of communication and marketing actions by launching specialized campaigns.
Who is our client in an ecommerce?
There is no explicit client for all ecommerce. This will depend on the product or service that is offered and the business itself, since there are different types of electronic commerce. The most common are four: B2B ( Business to Business ), B2C ( Business to Consumer ), C2B ( Consumer to Business ) and C2C ( Consumer to Consumer ).
The main difference between these models is in the customer . While B2B companies are aimed at electronic sales to other organizations, B2C companies are aimed at the final consumer. In C2Bs, on the other hand, the buyer is the point of reference. He is the one who proposes and sets the conditions of the transaction. Once the offer is made, companies can accept it or not. The latter, the C2C, connect two individuals commercially. Usually there is an intermediary who acts as a mediator. This would be the case of companies like Ebay, which provide a platform in which consumers sell and buy from other individuals.
What is an expedition in ecommerce?
When a customer places an order it is necessary that it be prepared, grouped and packed before it is picked up by the courier company. In an ecommerce, the set of actions prior to the final shipment of the products requested by a customer is called dispatch.
The dispatch of an order is the final step of the merchandise in the warehouse before heading to your delivery address.
The best Marketing tips for your eCommerce
How to create an ecommerce?
Starting a business from scratch is never easy, but it’s not impossible either. If what you are looking for is to set up an ecommerce, you only need a small investment and a lot of desire to dedicate time to it.
Next, we explain the six fundamental steps to start developing your own online business:
- Analysis of the situation: Even if you are clear about the product or service you want to offer, it is crucial to do an external and internal analysis of your project. Of course, with special attention to demographic, economic, technological, political and socio-cultural factors. Decide who you want to target, detect who will be your competition, prices and limitations. Better to take all the variables into account before discovering them once the adventure begins.
- Creation of the site : When you are clear about the business idea, unleash your creativity to choose the name and domain. Currently there are online tools that allow you to create an ecommerce for free. In the case of having a sufficient budget, it is advisable to hire a quality hosting company . Adequate browsing speed is the key to success. In terms of design, the website must be original, attractive, and easy to understand and use.
- Find a good courier company: The speed and punctuality of orders must be impeccable. Hire a trusted dropshipper and make it easy for the customer to locate their order in real time. In the case of not wanting intermediaries, try to have an effective messaging system.
- Customize your products: We can say that there are already online stores of all kinds. Competition is guaranteed. Therefore, it is necessary to find how to personalize and add value to your products. Differentiate yourself from the rest and find something that characterizes you. Get better than the rest.
- The more payment methods, the better: There are customers of all kinds. Some will not trust buying online and will only pay if there is a refund option. Others, on the other hand, will prefer to make transfers, pay by card or opt for PayPal. Therefore, the more payment methods you make available to the buyer, the better experience you will offer.
- Online Advertising and Digital Marketing: Do you already have your ecommerce regulated and started up? The time has come to get customers and make yourself known. For this, it is important that you are present on social networks and that you are very active. Create original advertising campaigns using Google Adwords to make yourself visible on the Internet and promote your own online marketing strategy. Try launching special offers, organize contests that suit your needs, or send your product to influencers who suit your audience. Do everything possible to publicize your brand, make the most of your creativity and… Done!
If you want to become a true ecommerce expert, don’t hesitate to sign up for our Master in e-Commerce & Digital Marketing. At IEBS you will find the training you want. We are waiting for you!
Master in e-Commerce & Digital Marketing
Learn the steps to create your own e-commerce and get a transversal vision of electronic commerce.
Inform me now!